Since October 2019 I have been a post-doctoral research associate with the PAL. I arrived after having completed a postdoc at the Institut Langevin (ESPCI) in Paris, France. I performed my PhD work at Ultrasonics Laboratory, at the University of Manitoba in Winnipeg, Canada. Before that, I obtained a BSc Honours in Physics at the University of Winnipeg in Canada.
I study Waves in Complex Media. I am especially interested in using elastic waves for characterizing soft and granular matter, and for ‘alternate approaches’ for imaging; that is, designing experiments to reveal ‘hidden’ information about a material or system.
My current research areas include:
Acoustic characterization of rocks
- Work in progress at PAL
Quantitative classical wave imaging
- W. Lambert, L. A. Cobus, T. Frappart, M. Fink, A. Aubry (2020). Distortion matrix approach for full–field imaging of random scattering media. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 117:26.
- W. Lambert, L. A. Cobus, M. Couade, M. Fink, A. Aubry (2020). Reflection matrix approach for quantitative imaging of scattering media, Physical Review X, 10:021048.
Experimental studies of 3D Anderson localization
- L. A. Cobus, W. K. Hildebrand, S. E. Skipetrov, B. A. van Tiggelen, J. H. Page (2018). Transverse confinement of ultrasound through the Anderson transition in 3D mesoglasses. Physical Review B, 98:214201.
- L.A. Cobus, S. E. Skipetrov, A. Aubry, B. A. van Tiggelen, A. Derode, and J. H. Page (2016). Anderson mobility gap probed by dynamic coherent backscattering, Physical Review Letters, 116:193901.
- A. Aubry, L.A. Cobus, S. E. Skipetrov, B. A. van Tiggelen, A. Derode, and J. H. Page (2014). Recurrent scattering and memory effect at the Anderson localization transition, Physical Review Letters, 112:043903.
- L. A. Cobus (2016). Anderson Localization and Anomalous Transport of Ultrasound in Disordered Media, PhD Thesis, University of Manitoba.
Alternate approaches to study complex materials
- L.A. Cobus, B. A. van Tiggelen, and J. H. Page (2017). Dynamic coherent backscattering of elastic waves in three-dimensional strongly-scattering media, The European Physical Journal Special Topics, 226:1549.
- W.K. Hildebrand, L.A. Cobus, and J.H. Page (2009). A statistical approach to direct density of states measurements in disordered systems, Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 127:2819.
- L. A. Cobus, K. A. Ross, M. G. Scanlon, and J. H. Page (2007). Comparison of Ultrasonic Velocities in Dispersive and Nondispersive Food Materials, Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 55:8889.
Please see my Google Scholar profile for a full publication list.
Contact : laura.cobus [at] auckland.ac.nz